Ralf Reski studied Biology, Chemistry and the Theory and Practice of Education at the Universities of Giessen and Hamburg. He was awarded his doctorate in Genetics in 1990 and received his postdoctoral lecture qualification in General Botany in 1994. From 1996 until 1999 he was a Heisenberg-Fellow of the German Research Foundation (DFG). After various offers from universities within Germany and abroad he was appointed Full Professor at the University of Freiburg and became Head of the newly established Department of Plant Biotechnology. From 2001 until 2011 he was Director Plant Biotechnology of the Centre for Applied Biosciences (ZAB). He is Principal Investigator (PI) of the Spemann Graduate School of Biology and Medicine (SGBM), the Centre for Biological Signalling Studies (BIOSS), both funded within the German Universities Excellence Initiative; and the Freiburg Initiative for Systems Biology (FRISYS) funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). Since 2004 Ralf Reski is affiliated to the Ecole supérieur de Biotechnologie Strasbourg (ESBS).
Ralf Reski has been a member of the Supervisory Board of BioPro GmbH since 2003, an enterprise of the federal state of Baden-Württemberg. From 2007 until 2010 Reski was a member of the Think Tank on Innovation Policy headed by Günther Oettinger, then State Premier of Baden-Württemberg and now European Commissioner. In March 2008 Ralf Reski was voted President of the Deutsches Nationalkomitee Biologie (DNK), which is the German National Committee of the International Union of Biological Sciences (IUBS) within the International Council for Science (ICSU).
Ralf Reski's main area of research deals with genetics, proteins, metabolism and particularities in the cell development of moss plants, using the very efficient technique of homologous recombination for creating knockout mosses by gene targeting in a reverse genetics approach. With over 150 scientific publications and 14 patent applications to date he has contributed significantly towards Physcomitrella patens becoming a model plant in biological research on a worldwide scale. In December 2007 the complete genome of the moss Physcomitrella patens was deciphered. This research was financed substantially by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, DFG). In 2010 he established the International Moss Stock Center (IMSC) which stores and freely distributes moss strains, transgenics and ecotypes. Reski’s research interests are in the fields of Systems Biology, Synthetic Biology and Biotechnology.
Ralf Reski’s projects in FRIAS are joined under the heading "Engineering Moss (e:MOSS)" and will apply methods from Systems Biology and Synthetic Biology, such as advanced life imaging, quantitative transcriptomics and proteomics, bioinformatics, mathematical modelling, and genetic pertubation, to understand cellular differentiation, pattern formation and early development in the moss Physcomitrella patens.
- L. Cooper, R.L. Walls, J. Elser, M.A. Gandolfo, D.W. Stevenson, B. Smith, J. Preece, B. Athreya, C.J. Mungall, S. Rensing, M. Hiss, D. Lang, R. Reski, T.Z. Berardini, D. Li, E. Huala, M. Schaeffer, N. Menda, E. Arnaud, R. Shrestha, Y. Yamazaki, P. Jaiswal (2013): The Plant Ontology as a tool for comparative plant anatomy and genomic analyses. Plant and Cell Physiology, 54 (2): 1-23. doi: 10.1093/pcp/pcs163.
- S.Y. Kim, C.C. Colpitts, G. Wiedemann, C. Jepson, M. Rahimi, J.R. Rothwell, A.D. McInnes, T. Tanahashi, M. Hasebe, R. Reski, B.T. Sterenberg, D.-Y. Suh (2012): Physcomitrella PpORS, basal to plant type III polyketide synthases in phylogenetic trees, is a very long chain 2’-oxoalkylresorcinol synthase. Journal of Biological Chemistry, http://www.jbc.org/cgi/doi/10.1074/jbc.M112.430686.
- M.A. Arif, I. Fattash, Z. Ma, S.H. Cho, A.K. Beike, R. Reski, M.J. Axtell, W. Frank (2012): DICER-LIKE3 Activity in Physcomitrella patens DICER-LIKE4 Mutants Causes Severe Developmental Dysfunction and Sterility. Mol Plant, 5 (6): 1281-1294; http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/mp/sss036
- J. Harba, O. Salehb, D. Kittemann, D.A. Neuwald, W. Frankd, R. Reski (2012): Upregulation of polyphenol-related genes prevents ‘skin burning’ of well-colored ‘Cameo’ apples stored under stressful controlled atmosphere conditions. Postharvest Biol Tec, 1-7.
- J. Scholz, F. Brodhun, E. Hornung, C. Herrfurth, M. Stumpe, A.K. Beike, B. Faltin, W. Frank, R. Reski, I. Feussner (2012): Biosynthesis of allene oxides in Physcomitrella patens. Bmc Plant Biol, 12 (1): 228. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2229-12-228
- H. Birke, S.J. Müller, M. Rother, A.D. Zimmer, S.N.W. Hoernstein, D. Wesenberg, M. Wirtz, G.-J. Krauss, R. Reski, R. Hell (2012): The relevance of compartmentation for cysteine synthesis in phototrophic organisms. Protoplasma, DOI: 10.1007/s00709-012-0411-9.
- C. Kreutz, J.S. Gehring, D. Lang, R. Reski, J. Timmer, S.A. Rensing (2012): TSSi - An R package for transcription start site identification from 5’ mRNA tag data. Bioinformatics, DOI: 10.1093/bioinformatics/bts189.
- M. T. Lehtonen, M. Akita, W. Frank, R. Reski, J.P.T. Valkonen (2012): Involvement of a class III peroxidase and the mitochondrial protein TSPO in oxidative burst upon treatment of moss plants with a fungal elicitor. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 25, 363-371.
- E. L. Decker, R. Reski (2012): Glycoprotein production in moss bioreactors. Plant Cell Reports 31, 453-460.
- A. Erxleben, A. Gessler, M. Vervliet-Scheebaum, R. Reski (2012): Metabolite profiling of the moss Physcomitrella patens reveals evolutionary conservation of osmoprotective substances. Plant Cell Reports 31, 427-436.
- C. C. Colpitts, S.S. Kim, S.E. Posehn, C. Jepson, S.Y. Kim, G. Wiedemann, R. Reski, A.G.H. Wee, C.J. Douglas, D.-Y. Suh (2011): PpASCL, a moss ortholog of anther-specific chalcone synthase-like enzymes, is a hydroxyalkylpyrone synthase involved in an evolutionarily conserved sporopollenin biosynthesis pathway. New Phytologist 192, 855-868.
- Khraiwesh, B., M.A. Arif, G.I. Seumel, S. Ossowski, D. Weigel, R. Reski, W. Frank (2010): Transcriptional control of gene expression by microRNAs. Cell 140, 111-122.
- Martin, A., D. Lang, S.T. Hanke, S.J.X. Mueller, E. Sarnighausen, M. Vervliet-Scheebaum, R. Reski (2009): Targeted gene knockouts reveal overlapping functions of the five Physcomitrella patens FtsZ isoforms in chloroplast division, chloroplast shaping, cell patterning, plant development, and gravity sensing. Molecular Plant 2, 1359-1372.
- Mosquna, A., A. Katz, E.L. Decker, S.A. Rensing, R. Reski, N. Ohad (2009): Regulation of stem cell maintenance by the Polycomb protein FIE has been conserved during land plant evolution. Development 136, 2433-2444.
- Qudeimat, E., A.M.C. Faltusz, G. Wheeler, D. Lang, H. Holtorf, C. Brownlee, R. Reski, W. Frank (2008): A PIIB-type Ca2+-ATPase is essential for stress adaptation in Physcomitrella patens. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 105, 19554-19559.
- Rensing, S.A., D. Lang, A. Zimmer, A. Terry, A. Salamov, H. Shapiro, T. Nishiyama, P.-F. Perroud, E. Lindquist, Y. Kamisugi, T. Tanahash, K. Sakakibara, T. Fujita, K. Oishi, T. Shin-I, Y. Kuroki, A. Toyoda, Y. Suzuki, S.-i. Hashimoto, K. Yamaguchi, S. Sugano, Y. Kohara, A. Fujiyama, N. Ashton, A. Anterola, S. Aoki, W.B. Barbazuk, E. Barker, J. Bennetzen, R. Blankenship, S.H. Cho, S. Dutcher, M. Estelle, J.A. Fawcett, H. Gundlach, K. Hanada, A. Heyl, K.A. Hicks, J. Hughes, M. Lohr, K. Mayer, A. Melkozernov, T. Murata, D. Nelson, B. Pils, M. Prigge, B. Reiss, T. Renner, S. Rombauts, P. Rushton, A. Sanderfoot, G. Schween, S.-H. Shiu, K. Stueber, F.L. Theodoulou, H. Tu, Y. Van de Peer, P.J. Verrier, E. Waters, A. Wood, L. Yang, D. Cove, A.C. Cuming, M. Hasebe, S. Lucas, B.D. Mishler, R. Reski, I. Grigoriev, R.S. Quatrano, J.L. Boore (2008): The Physcomitrella genome reveals evolutionary insights into the conquest of land by plants. Science 319, 64-69.