Prof. Dr. Jan-Ola Östman
University of Helsinki
März - Juni 2012
- März - Juni 2012
- Sept.-Okt. 2008
- Mai 2009
In addition to my education in English language and literature at the Åbo Akademi university in Finland (FL 1981), I have an M.A. in linguistic science from Reading university, Great Britain (1976), and my Ph.D. in linguistics from University of California, Berkeley (1986). From the mid-1970s until 1988 I was employed in various positions as teacher, lecturer, assistant, acting associate professor etc. in general linguistics and in English language and literature at the Åbo Akademi university. In the late 1980s I moved to the University of Helsinki. I was associate professor of English linguistics there 1988-1998, during which time I held the position of professor (acting) of English philology in the same department in several installments. In 1996-1999 I was acting professor of general linguistics; and during the period 1998-2002 I held the position of professor of English philology. Since my appointment in 2002 I have held the Swedish-language professorship in Scandinavian languages (with focus on dialects, sociolinguistics and historical linguistics) at the University of Helsinki. I was appointed docent in linguistics at the Åbo Akademi university in 1989, and since 2006 I have been professor II of Scandinavian languages at the University of Tromsø, Norway.
- Jan-Ola Östman, You know: A Discourse Functional Approach. (Pragmatics and Beyond II:7.) Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 1981.
- Jan-Ola Östman & Mirjam Fried (eds.) Construction Grammars. Cognitive grounding and theoretical extensions [Constructional Approaches to Language, CAL 3]. Amsterdam & Philadelphia, PA: John Benjamins. 2005. (viii + 324 pp.) Published as paperback in 2008.
- Fried, Mirjam & Jan-Ola Östman, co-editors of Construction Grammar in a cross-language perspective [Constructional Approaches to Language 2]. Amsterdam & Philadelphia, PA: John Benjamins, 2004. 209 pp. Published as paperback in 2008.
- Sandøy, Helge & Jan-Ola Östman, co-editors of ”Det främmande” i nordisk språkpolitik. Om normering av utländska ord [Moderne importord i språka i Norden II]. Oslo: Novus, 2004.
- Pentti Leino & Jan-Ola Östman, 2008. Language change, variability, and functional load: Finnish genericity from a constructional point of view. In Constructional reorganization [Constructional Approaches to Language 5], ed. by Jaakko Leino (pp. 37–54). Amsterdam & Philadelphia, PA: John Benjamins.
- Jan-Ola Östman, 2006. Constructions in cross-language research: Verbs as pragmatic particles in Solv. In Pragmatic markers in contrast, 2, edited by Karin Aijmer & Anne-Marie Simon-Vandenbergen (pp. 237–257). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Urpo Nikanne & Jan-Ola Östman, 2006. Finland-Swedish directionality in Conceptual Semantics and in Construction Grammar: A methodological dialogue. SKY Journal of Linguistics, Special Supplement to Volume 19/2006: 66–86.
- Jaakko Leino & Jan-Ola Östman, 2005. Constructions and variability. In Grammatical constructions. Back to the roots [Constructional Approaches to Language 4], ed, by Mirjam Fried & Hans Boas (pp. 191–213). Amsterdam & Philadelphia, PA: John Benjamins.
- Jan-Ola Östman, Persuasion as implicit anchoring. The case of collocations. In Persuasion across genres. A linguistic approach [Pragmatics and Beyond New Series 130], ed. by Helena Halmari & Tuija Virtanen (pp. 183-212). Amsterdam & Philadelphia, PA: John Benjamins, 2005.
- Mirjam Fried & Jan-Ola Östman, Construction Grammar and spoken language: The case of pragmatic particles. Journal of Pragmatics 37(11): 1752-1778. 2005.
- Laakso, Ville & Jan-Ola Östman, Minority, but non-confrontational. Balancing on the double-edged sword of hegemony and ambivalence. In Language rights and language survival [Encounters 4], ed. by Jane Freeland & Donna Patrick (pp. 67-85). Manchester, UK & Northampton, MA: St. Jerome, 2004.
- Mattfolk, Leila & Jan-Ola Östman, Attitudes, opinions and the implicit. PIC Bulletin 7: 74-77. [University of Helsinki: The PIC Project, 2004]
- Östman, Jan-Ola, The postcard as media. Text 24(3): 423-442. 2004.
- Mirjam Fried & Jan-Ola Östman, The explicit and the implicit in the Suasion Frame. In Proceedings of CIL17, ed. by Eva Hajičová, Anna Kotěšovcová & Jiří Mírovský. CD-ROM. Prague: Matfyzpress, MFF UK, 2003. 22 pp.
- Jan Ola Östman & Pekka Kuusisto, News Reports on the M/S Estonia Accident from a Pragmatic Perspective. In Variation Past and Present. VARIENG Studies in English for Terttu Nevalainen, ed. by Helena Raumolin Brunberg, Minna Nevala, Arja Nurmi & Matti Rissanen. Mémoires de la Société Néophilologique de Helsinki LXI. Helsinki: Société Néophilologique, 2002. p. 319 335.
- Jef Verschueren, Jan-Ola Östman & Michael Meeuwis, The International Communication Monitor (ICM): The Idea. In International Communication Monitoring, ed. by Jef Verschueren, Jan-Ola Östman & Michael Meeuwis. Brussels: Koninklijke Vlaamse Academie van Belgie voor Wetenshappen en Kunsten. 2002. 7-15.
- Helena Halmari & Jan-Ola Östman, The soft-spoken, angelix pickax killer: The notion of discourse pattern in controversial news reporting. Journal of Pragmatics 33/6 (2001): 805-823.
The general goal of my project on Construction Discourse at FRIAS is to take the insights of Construction Grammar as originally developed by Ch. Fillmore in the early 1980s, and see to what extent his basic ideas can be extended into the realm of discourse. A number of issues need to be approached in detail in this effort: (a) how do we deal with language variation, variability and ambivalence in a model of grammar?; (b) to what extent is it feasible and relevant to formalize contextual aspects – as, e.g., external constraints on what a construction can license?; (c) to what extent can monological and dialogical approaches to text and discourse be reconciled, if at all, and are constructional approaches the answer?; and, (d) what is the definition of ‘grammar’ in a constructional approach to language?