IMRIC- Hebrew University-
Hadassah Medical School
Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies
School of Life Sciences - LifeNet
79104 Freiburg im Breisgau
Chaya Kalcheim was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, September 25, 1955. She lives in Jerusalem, Israel, is married and has two children, Einat and Yoav. She performed her undergraduate studies in Biology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and then moved to the Weizmann Institute of Science at Rehovot where she graduated in Neurobiology. In 1984, she moved to Paris to the Institut d’Embryologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire where she specialized with Prof. Nicole Le Douarin in Developmental Neurobiology. Back in Israel in 1987, she joined the Dept. of Anatomy and Embryology, now the Dept. of Medical Neurobiology of the Faculty of Medicine where she is a full professor since 2001. Dr Kalcheim holds the Alice and Siegfried Menkes Chair in Cancer research and Experimental Medicine and received numerous awards including the Bernard Katz Prize in Neurobiology from the University of Heidelberg. In 1999, Dr Kalcheim published with Prof. Le Douarin the second Edition of the “Neural Crest” which became a classical source for students and researchers in developmental biology, cell biology, and neuroscience.
Mechanisms of Neural Crest specification
- Cell commitment vs. multipotency at the premigratory stage
- Segregation between Neural Crest and Roof Plate fates.
- The relationship between cell specification and the choice of migratory pathways.
- Debby-Brafman, A., Burstyn-Cohen, T., Klar, A. and Kalcheim, C. (1999) F-spondin is expressed in somite regions avoided by neural crest cells and mediates the inhibition of distinct somitic domains to neural crest migration. Neuron 22, 475-488
- Le Douarin, N.M. and Kalcheim, C. (1999) The Neural Crest. 2cond Edition. Cambridge University Press. New York
- Burstyn-Cohen T. and Kalcheim, C. (2002) Association between the cell cycle and neural crest delamination through regulation of G1-S transition. Developmental Cell. 3, 383-395
- Shoval, I, Ludwig, A and Kalcheim, C. (2007) Antagonistic roles for full-length N-cadherin and its BMP-mediated cleavage product in regulating neural crest delamination. Development 134, 491-501
- Ben-Yair, R., and Kalcheim, C. (2008) Notch and bone morphogenetic protein differentially act on dermomyotome cells to generate endothelium, smooth and striated muscle. J. Cell Biol. 180, 607-618
- Krispin, S; Nitzan, E; Kassem, and Kalcheim, C (2010) Evidence for a dynamic spatiotemporal fate map and early fate restrictions of premigratory avian neural crest. Development 137: 585-95