Conference - Reading Books and Prints as Cultural Objects
Jul 15, 2015 04:00 PM
Jul 17, 2015 03:00 PM
|Where||FRIAS, Albertstr. 19, Seminar Room|
|Contact Name||Anna Blattner|
|Contact Phone||0761 203 97362|
nach Anmeldung/registration only
|Add event to calendar||
Reading Books and Prints as Cultural Objects
An international and interdisciplinary Conference at FRIAS
organised by Prof. Dr. Evanghelia STEAD (EURIAS fellow, 2014-2015)
at Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies, 15-17 July 2015
Prof. Dr. Evanghelia Stead would like to take the opportunity of her EURIAS fellowship in FRIAS to invite Freiburg-based and external academic researchers, curators and scholars to convene at FRIAS in an international and interdisciplinary conference to take place at Freiburg-im-Breisgau (15-17 July 2015).
The event will consider books and prints as telling and multidimensional cultural objects, « bearing in their pages the boundaries of their possible reception » (Roger Chartier, Pratiques de la lecture, 1985:79), and particularly address intersemiotic relations born of the ways in which content (texts and pictures) and material setting (shape, reproduction, ornament, typography and page lay-out, binding etc.) combine.
The conference’s goal is to enhance a constructive dialogue between disciplines such as literature and comparative literature, history, history of art, Mediawissenschaft and cultural studies, and to promote dialogue between reading theories and practices, book and literature histories, myth and pattern studies, text / figure transmission and circulation studies in Europe.
The event is conceived of as the broader context to Prof. Stead’s current FRIAS Project Faust I in prints and book objects: Germany, England and France, 1816-1925 <http://www.2015-2016.eurias-fp.eu/fellows/evanghelia-stead>, in the wake of three publications : two special issues «Reading with images» [«Lire avec des images au XIXe siècle en Europe»] (La Lecture littéraire (Reims), n° 5-6, 2002, ed. by E. Stead), and «Imago & Translatio» (Word & Image, vol. 30, n° 3, July-September 2014, guest editors E. Stead & Hélène Védrine), as well as The Flesh of the Book: Materiality, Imagination and Poetics of the Fin-de-siècle Book (by E. Stead, Paris, PUPS, «Histoire de l’imprimé», 2012, in French).
Particular issues to be explored in the forum:
– the meeting of cultures, their interrelation and confrontation, when prints and albums are seen as silent but powerful messengers, circulating in a wide European context
– the complex dialogue between interpretation of context and expression of cultural trends as evidenced by the study of relations between «reading with images or ornament» in books and « works on paper » (engravings, lithographs, drawings, reproductions)
– the way major works, myths and imaginary patterns are transmitted, read, re-read and remediated through such processes and in such contexts
– a challenge to the limits of the much employed term “illustration” and its extensive use
– a re-valuation of copies, replicas and multiplication processes in an intense network of circulation
Languages of the conference: English, German, French