Selection Process 2018-19
The selection under the Joint Project Group Programme FRIAS-Nagoya IAR is competitive and merit-based.
The selection process is organised as a multi-stage procedure:
- Eligibility check
- International peer-review of eligible applications by referees from outside the partner universities
- Final selection made by a joint selection committee from both institutes.
1. Eligibility check
In order to be eligible for application, candidates must fulfil all of the formal eligibility criteria:
- The call is directed at researchers of the two universities with substantial research experience. An application must comprise:
- 1 to 3 professors from Freiburg and Nagoya respectively
and can(!) include
- up to 2 junior researchers from Freiburg and Nagoya respectively
- up to 3 additional researchers from other research institutions world-wide.
- Applicants need to hold a position at their respective university for the duration of the project.
- Applicant groups are invited to submit the completed application form, a joint proposal of maximum 8 pages (max. 6 pages project proposal plus 2 pages references, line-spacing 1.5, font Arial 11 pt), full CVs (max. 2 pages) and publication lists (max. 2 pages) for each member of the applicant group in one pdf file. The proposals should be written in English.
2. International peer-review
In the second stage, the eligible proposals are forwarded to at least two external experts who evaluate the research project and the CV.
Selection criteria are the academic excellence of the applicants, the excellence (in terms of quality, topic, perspective and methodology), originality, significance and feasibility of the project and the contribution to the strategic alliance between the universities.
3. Final selection by the selection committee
The successful applicant groups are finally selected by the joint selection committee. This board comprises 8 members. Each party names four members for the selection committee. The committee is independent in its decision making.
On the basis of the original proposals and the expert reviews the selection committee makes a final ranking list. The selection committee is asked to guarantee the above-mentioned criteria.
Calendar of implementation of the selection process
|Submission deadline for applications||31 March 2017|
|Final selection||July 2017|
|Notification of selected groups||End of July 2017|
|Start of project groups||1 January 2018|
|Projected end date of project groups||31 December 2019|